Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic opioid that is similar to morphine but is 50 to 100 times more potent. It is a prescription drug that is also made and used illegally. Like morphine, it is a medicine that is typically used to treat patients with severe pain, especially after surgery. It is also sometimes used to treat patients with chronic pain who are physically tolerant to other opioids.
Symptoms of fentanyl addiction may include:
- Tolerance or needing to use more to achieve the same high
- Using to avoid the negative symptoms of fentanyl withdrawal
- Preoccupation with fentanyl whether it be using or obtaining
- Failing to quit when one wants to do so
- Opting out of social activities to use fentanyl
- Using fentanyl despite its negative effects